If you plan properly, you can have wonderful new blooms each month of the growing season.
Although most perennials bloom for a month or two, adding variety and enjoyment, you may wish to add some longer blooming perennials which span the seasons.
Some excellent perennials for the sun garden which will bloom for three to four months or more include:
- Agastache - great for attracting butterflies
- Coreopsis verticillata - Thread-leaf Coreopsis
- Delosperma - Ice Plant
- Dianthus - many of the low growing varieties
- Gaillardia - large, showy flowers
- Gaura lindheimeri - great for attracting butterflies
- Geranium sanguineum spp. - low-growing geraniums
- Heliopsis - drought tolerant, good cut flowers
- Lavandula angustifolius - Lavender, fragrant
- Leucanthemum - Shasta Daisies
- Monarda spp. - attracts butterflies and hummingbirds
- Perovskia - Russian Sage
- Rudbeckia spp. - Brown-eyed Susan
- Salvia nemorosa - great for attracting butterflies
- Scabiosa columbaria 'Butterfly Blue' and 'Pink Mist'
- Verbena 'Homestead Purple'
- Veronica spp.
These perennials provide all season interest in the garden not with their flowers, but through their foliage which has interesting colors or textures. For these plants, the flowers are mostly just an added bonus.
- Astilbe - Beautiful fern-like foliage in various shades of green and a diversity of leaf textures
- Bergenia - bold evergreen leathery foliage
- Cimicifuga - layers of attractive foliage including a beautiful purple-leaved variety, most are tall
- Darmera peltata - Big, bold flat topped leaves
- Hosta - huge diversity of size, color, and texture
- Kirengeshoma - large plant with maple-shaped leaves
- Ligularia - a variety of leaf shapes, sizes, and colors
- Polygonatum - Solomon's Seal
- Rodgersia - exotic perennial with bold leaves of various shapes and sizes